If you’re not one for a morning park run or an afternoon smash at the iron, there’s a workout that utilises your lounge in far healthier ways than moulding yourself into it.
Check out this six-step pyjama-friendly workout that gives you good reason to keep the sofa company.
Works your pecs and arms.
• Face your couch and lean on its edge using your arms. Position them shoulder-width apart.
• Have your legs straight out behind you with your toes contacting the floor.
• Lower yourself with your arms until you almost touch the couch, raising yourself back up to the starting position. Try to get through 10 of these.
Works the backs of your upper arms.
• Sit on the edge of the lounge with your palms gripping the edge.
• Extend your legs out, crossing them at your ankles.
• Lift your butt off the couch by pushing upwards, moving forward, so you’re suspended.
• Dip down to the floor without contacting it, then raise yourself back up to complete a rep. Aim for 10 reps.
Works the glutes and quads with an easy dipping motion.
• Start by standing with your arms out in front of you with your palms facing down.
• Keeping your back straight, bend your knees squatting down to the floor – as close as you can with contacting it.
• Raise yourself back to a standing position. Aim for 10 of these.
Works your biceps.
• Grab someone or two-litre bottles to use as weights.
• Sit on the edge of your couch, holding the bottles with straight arms and palms up.
• Curl both arms up towards your shoulders while keeping a straight back. Lower them back down to the starting position to complete a rep. Aim for 10 reps again.
Lateral Arm Raises
Works your delts (shoulder muscles).
• Sit on the couch’s edge, holding your bottle-weights by your sides, palms facing downwards.
• Raise both arms out to your sides, making them parallel with the ground. Lower than back down to your sides to complete a rep.
• You should feel your shoulders burning after a few reps!
Couch Leg Raises
A hip abductor exercise working the outsides of your legs.
• Lay on your couch sideways, supporting your head with your arm. Rest the opposite arm on your upper leg.
• Raise your upper leg in a scissoring motion as high as you feel comfortable.
• Lower your leg back down until it almost touches your resting leg. Hold it for around half a second for reraising it back up for your second rep.
• Try to complete 10 reps, then swap legs for a total hip/leg workout.